Wood requires protection to keep it looking like new for longer. There are different products to keep it in perfect condition. Depending on the exposure to which it will be subjected, the type of wood and the state it is in, you will have to choose texte libre ferber paintingvarnishes, wood oils or protectors. When choosing, you must take into account whether the wood is indoors or outdoors, as well as whether it is an untreated or already varnished surface.
Wood-eating insects (woodworms and termites), fungi (bluing, rot), sun and humidity are the main agents that deteriorate wood.
Protect and decorate:
Ferber Painting varnishes, oils and protectors are used to preserve the wood and prolong its durability.Wood-eating insects (woodworms and termites), fungi, sun and humidity are the main agents that deteriorate wood.
Types Of Protection Products
It is a polyurethane resin-based compound that is used to protect wood in furniture, floors… both indoors and outdoors. It covers the surface with a rigid film that protects the wood from environmental agents (dirt, UV rays, salt air, etc.) that is very easy to clean. The main drawback is that varnished surfaces can crack and require extensive sanding before re-varnishing. Especially indicated on interior decorative woods.
Decorative protectors protect from water and UV rays from the sun. They penetrate the wood and offer a natural finish. They are easier to refinish than varnish, as they only require light sanding. They let the wood breathe and do not crack or flake. Unlike Ferber painting varnishes, they contain insecticidal and fungicidal active ingredients in their formulation.
In addition to the decorative ones, there are preventive protectors (they are applied as a primer before the decorative protector) and curative ones (to eradicate wood attacked by fungi or insects).
It is used to nourish unvarnished wood. When applied, it is absorbed and helps the wood maintain its original texture. In the case of exotic woods and outdoor furniture, it is advisable to apply a coat of teak oil once a year.
Indoor Or Outdoor
There are Ferber Painting varnishes, oils and specific protectors for wood located indoors or outdoors. Concrete outdoor products offer greater resistance to inclement weather (UV rays from the sun, rain and humidity…).
- Ferber Painting varnishes: Suitable for already varnished wood. It forms a protective layer, with a smooth feel and glossy finish, and requires sanding before reapplying. It is very resistant to UV rays. There are marine Ferber Painting varnishes recommended for the treatment of exterior wood in coastal areas that also have a fungicidal action.
- Decorative guard: Suitable for unvarnished wood. It offers a natural finish showing the grain of the wood. Protects from rain and UV rays from the sun. It does not crack and allows the wood to breathe.
- Teak oils: Indicated for wood without varnishing or waxing. They hydrate and nourish the wood and protect it from humidity and UV rays. Teak oil prevents the wood from turning gray and is the recommended solution for exotic woods.
Ferber Painting varnishes. They protect the wood from scratches, bumps and stains. Available in colorless, and in various wood tones. You can also choose between a matte, semi-gloss, or gloss finish.
- Oils: Nourishes interior wood and maintains its natural appearance. It can be applied on untreated wood. If it is varnished, it must be stripped and sanded first, always in the direction of the grain of the wood. Normally it is advisable to apply a coat of oil, let it dry for the time indicated by the manufacturer, repeat the operation and wait 24 hours.
- Application:To achieve good protection, apply the appropriate product in each situation and use the recommended dose of the product according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wood maintenance:When renewing the varnish, oil or protector, check the durability of the product on the label. Generally, the protectors guarantee an effectiveness that goes from 2 to 10 years.