Maintaining our carpets clean and fresh is already a tiresome task. It is even more challenging when we deal with unexpected stains and do not know what to do. Though carpets are a wonderful feeling underfoot and add a lot of cosiness to a room, they require more maintenance than hard floors. In addition, they bear the brunt of foot traffic through our homes, whether we have clumsy teenagers, pets or just a regular group of friends.
But how would you feel if we told you some little-known tricks would help you?
Luckily there is a tip and trick for almost every carpet and every stain. So if you are curious to know more about these, keep reading.
Squeegee to remove pet hair
Pet hair can be a persistent problem for carpet owners. One unconventional solution is to use a squeegee to remove the hair. If you do not have a squeegee at home, you can use a rubber broom or glove.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Squeegee with a rubber edge is best for pulling up pet hair, so choose one with this feature.
- Use the squeegee to scrape the pet hair off the carpet: Using long strokes, work the squeegee over the carpet from one end to the other.
- You can then pick up the hair with your hands or use a vacuum cleaner to remove it after squeezing the carpet.
- This process may need to be repeated several times to remove all the pet hair from your carpet, depending on how much there is.
- Using a squeegee regularly on your carpet will help prevent pet hair from building up and becoming more challenging to remove.
Shaving cream to remove stains
Shaving cream can be an effective stain remover for carpets. You can expect miraculous results when using it despite being known for entirely different everyday purposes.
What you need to do is the following:
- If the stain is fresh, lightly blot it with a clean, white cloth to remove excess moisture and prevent it from spreading.
- Make sure you use shaving cream directly on the stained area. It can be applied to any stain, but be careful not to use gel-based shaving creams.
- Make a circular motion with the cream carefully not to damage the carpet fibres while working the cream into the stain.
- Let the shaving cream sit on the stain for at least 10-15 minutes if possible. This will allow the stain to break down and lift.
- Repeat this process as required until the stain is completely removed. After the shaving cream has had time to work, rinse the area with clean water and dry it with a white cloth.
Shaving cream is generally effective at removing stains, but it may only work on some types. Firstly, test the shaving cream on an inconspicuous corner of a carpet to ensure it does not permanently damage it.
Steam cleaner for deep cleaning
Steam cleaning is a highly effective method for deep cleaning carpets. It uses hot water and steam to penetrate deep into the carpet fibres, removing dirt, stains, and odours.
If you are curious about how to clean your carpets with a steam cleaner, do the following;
- Choose a steam cleaner designed explicitly to remove dirt and moisture from carpets. These machines typically come with a high-temperature setting and powerful suction features.
- Ensure all loose dirt and debris are removed from the carpet before using the cleaner.
- Before use, read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that you use it correctly and to prevent your carpets from being damaged.
- As the manufacturer directs, fill the steam cleaner’s water tank with hot water.
- Be sure to use a cleaning solution specifically designed for steam cleaners and carpets. You may need to add a cleaning solution to the water tank. That depends entirely on the specific model you are using.
- You should begin cleaning the carpet by running the steam cleaner over a small area.
- Before moving on to the next area, thoroughly clean each using the steam cleaner.
- Depending on ambient humidity and temperature, it can take several hours or even overnight for the carpet to completely dry.
A mixture of cornstarch and baking soda to freshen up carpets
Baking soda is a natural deodoriser used to freshen up carpets. By simply sprinkling it over your carpet it will do magic.
To use the mixture for better results, do the following:
- Add equal amounts of cornstarch and baking soda to a bowl. The baking soda helps absorb odours, and cornstarch is useful for freshening carpets.
- Using a generous amount, scatter the mixture liberally over the carpet, including the entire area that needs revitalisation.
- Allow the mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes to absorb any unpleasant odour on the carpet.
- Clean the carpet by vacuuming it thoroughly. Make sure you vacuum it several times to eliminate all the mixture.
- Once your carpets are clean, enjoy the fresh scent they provide. You can vacuum the mixture again periodically to keep them smelling great.
Combining cornstarch and baking soda is an easy and effective way to remove unpleasant odours from carpets. Commercial carpet fresheners contain harsh chemicals and artificial fragrances.
Vinegar to remove tough stains
Distilled white vinegar can be found in almost every household. It is a natural ingredient in many homemade cleaning solutions. So naturally, it can fight through stains, even from carpets.
You can remove stains from carpets by doing the following:
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and shake it to combine.
- Spray the vinegar solution directly onto the stain, ensuring it is well-saturated.
- Allow the vinegar solution to sit on the stain for 10-15 minutes to penetrate and break down the stain.
- Gently blot the stain with a clean, white cloth. Do not rub the stain since that will spread it.
- Blot up any remaining vinegar solution with a clean, white cloth, then rinse the area with water.
- This process may need to be repeated several times for stubborn stains until it is completely removed.
- Once the stain is removed, allow the carpet to air dry completely before reusing it.
It is essential to test the vinegar solution on an inconspicuous carpet area first to ensure it does not cause any damage or discolouration. Vinegar is a natural and effective cleaner that can remove tough stains from carpets.
You can try these tricky and interesting cleaning tips at home. However, carpets can be challenging, and some stains can make it even more difficult. Do not hesitate to contact your local carpet cleaning company if you are desperate.